Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Happy New Year

Happy New Year y'all, I hope you all had much fun over the festive period. My Christmas and New Year were lovely, but it's back to work today and the start of a new year, time to finally take control and sort myself out.

2012 was a brilliant year for me in many ways, I married my favourite boy, had a lovely time in Italy with friends and family, got promoted at work, traveled a lot, spent a lot of time with my favourite people and generally enjoyed life.

However, towards the end of the year (post wedding) I let things slip. Work stress got the better of me, I stopped eating well, I became a lot lazier and I suffered in no particular order from this little lot:
  • food poisoning
  • 2 colds
  • 1 bout of flu
  • Norivirus
  • Chest infection
  • Mild pneumonia (particularly fun)
  • and now I have yet another cold... 
So enough already. Before this point I have rarely been ill, I've always had a fairly robust immune system, but clearly something has gone wrong and I can only put it down to this vicious circle I've gotten into. Stress = boozing = little sleep = no exercise + convenience food = illness = stress.... 

It stops now. I am determined to get healthy again this year. I've started back on a healthy eating plan - I'm not planning to start following any 'diet' plan, I just need to concentrate on upping the fresh fruit and vegetables for now and cutting down the crap. Limiting the soft drinks and getting more water down me. This is not about losing weight for now, I need to drop a couple of stone to get back to a weight I a comfortable with, but for now, I need to concentrate on getting healthy.

I'm also committing to working out at least 3 times a week. I missed PT for the whole of December due to illness, so once this current dose of cold does one, I'm going to do at least 2 sessions of PT a week and one other gym session on my own. I'm cutting back on the boozing too - the aim is to drink only at weekends and as little as possible during January. 

Hopefully once I start following the basics, I'll start being able to avoid picking up every flipping germ that passes me.

So, here's to a happy and healthy new year! I've already lots planned for 2013, so I need to make sure I'm fighting fit to enjoy it all.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck to you and a very happy new year to you and the husband.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back blogging too - that really helps.

    I think you're right - when you've had a succession of illnesses, you need to be kind to yourself and just get back to an even keel before piling the pressure on to diet!!

    Chin up chuck.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of ill! Yikes. I'm also hoping to be healthier this new year too...not for weight loss, but for 'health'. I'm hoping to cook more (novice) and run more (er, also novice). Here's to a healthy, happy 2013 :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to read that you are back with us, not so glad about the sucession of germs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!