Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Happy New Year!

So here we are, another year and all of that "New Year, New Me" propaganda is everywhere.

I had my first weigh of the year after a 2 week break at Christmas and was extremely surprised with a 3lb loss. Pretty amazing, all things considered.

The class had about 15 new members, which is not at all surprising given the time of the year, but I can't help wondering how many people feel the need to change themselves at the start of January and then give up after a few weeks or months.

I've always found weight loss hard, because quite simply, I don't care enough. I have always been happy with who I am and how I look but I had started to get to a stage where my weight was ever increasing and I was in danger of being out of control. I've lost over 2 stone now and I'm happy with the results, but I'd still like to drop more over the next few weeks before we head to Australia at the start of February. I imagine 3 weeks in Oz can do a fair bit of damage so I'd like a buffer before we go!

Matt is partaking in "Dry January" so that's definitely helping so far this year as no alcohol has passed my lips. After a couple of weeks of eating and drinking rubbish, it's really nice to be back to healthy foods again. I missed my own cooking.

Christmas and New Year were lovely but it's always pretty full on. I was looking forward to coming back to work for a break.....

However, Monday was a disaster:

1) My car wouldn't start
2) I discovered I didn't have "Home Start" on my AA policy
3) I had to pay £100 for the aforementioned Home Start
4) I then had to wait 3 hours for the nice man to come and fix my car to tell me I needed a new battery.
5) My bank card got cancelled by my bank whilst I was attempting to pay for the new battery
6) The upstairs neighbours decided to turn our kitchen light into a water feature causing the entire flat to trip and the temporary loss of electrics to the kitchen and bathroom.

It's enough to drive anyone to drink.... Thankfully the scales were kind to me otherwise I may well have drowned my sorrows in spectacular fashion!

Anyway, since then things have improved so let's hope that's all my bad luck out of the way for a while... I've a plan for food and drink this week so I am hoping for good things this week.

And finally, a few photos of the festive period.


Amazing Meal @ Tim Raue in Berlin

Checkpoint Charlie

 German Markets

 Serve your own beer and awesome burgers @ The Pub


We fly out to Oz on the 6th Feb, so I've 4 weeks or so to make a difference. Watch this space...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that really was a bad day!! Hope all sorted now.

    I'm so jealous of all your travelling and now Oz!! Get a few lbs off before you go to make room for that delicious food and wine!!

    Lxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Linz. Just spent the last hour reading all your blogposts. Wow, you don't half get about. I am so jealous. You have experienced so many things and eaten in so many amazing places that I'll probably never get to. Hope C is OK in San Fran and enjoying her two years. Lucky thing. Will she come back? Sending you lots of luck for the dreaded Slimming World (I went for a job there when I first moved here, they're based this way). I have to say their website is great. Don't be too hard on yourself. xxx Oh and I think health fears are a mid life thing. I had a year of googling and convincing myself I had all sorts. Stay away from google xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the SW info Linz. I don't think I'll be becoming any more restrictive so no need to scan the pages ta. I'm sure I'll be going to class sooner or later anyway just want to get a few weeks under my belt while I have "the zeal". Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Linz, I am super jealous of your travels. You really do go to the best places. I feel I am travelling the world as I stalk your insta feed. Very impressed DryJanuary is going well for both you and M. Hope you have a good few weeks before you head off to Oz xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!