Tuesday, 26 June 2012

The angel of doom descends...

I'm still here and still pretty useless at this losing weight business.

We had a fairly stressful weekend - the Mother in Law (to be) came to stay and she is fairly hard work (Matt will tell you himself she is a nightmare, so I'm not being unpleasant).

I've never met such a negative person and after a while it grinds you down, no matter how cheerful you try to be. We tried to do lovely things with her, afternoon tea, shopping (at her request) and a Sunday lunch, but listening to her moan and complain throughout was a little bit depressing. If you have a cold, she has pneumonia, if you are short on cash, she is destitute, if you are tired, she is extremely exhausted - you get the idea. She also announced she hates Italian food and can't stand the heat - so that pleases me that we have paid for her and her husband to spend a week in Italy for our wedding (all inclusive, I hasten to add). It's enough to make my blood boil.

It turned us both to drink - so all weekend involved wine and cider, plus the aforementioned meals. Not overly conducive to weight loss. Couple that with incapacitating myself following a gym session last week - well you have a weight loss disaster.

I managed to get back into the gym for PT last night which was really difficult. I was in a total mess, sweating, swearing and totally aching. I'd had 6 days off exercise due to my bad back and I could really tell. I am making a concerted effort to go more this week.

I've also decided I need to cut out alcohol on school nights, so from now on, my boozing is limited to Friday and Saturday. It's become a very bad habit to go to the pub a couple of nights a week and it's all empty calories. Not to mention bad for me all round.

I can't make WI tonight as we've tickets for Rhod Gilbert, but I will face the scales tomorrow. I don't expect them to like me too much.

In wedding related news, we appear to have a venue sorted for the night time drinks now. It's not exactly what we wanted but to be honest, I was starting to lose the will to live. It also looks like my wedding dress will be ready to try on at some point soon - although I'm not holding my breath on that. Thanks amy for the suggestion of the lace Vivien dress. It's a definite contender if I start to panic!

This week involves a lot of salad and water. Matt is having his stag do at the weekend so I am off to stay with a friend as her hubby is in attendance. She has a child so boozing won't happen. It could shape up to be a decent week.

5 comments:

  1. That's the spirit! Put the grumpy MIL behind you and the bad diet vibe and start again. I'm sure you'll have a good week this time and all will be well.

    That sort of gloomy person does my head in - our neighbour is like that and it's come to the point that I'll avoid her in the front garden as I know she'll just drag me down. Can't imagine what having the black cloud come to stay would be like!!

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least the wedding stuff is sorted! Sounds like a trying weekend but smiling sweetly and resorting to drink may well be the way forward... :)

    Good luck for the week ahead - especially staying booze free on school nights (currently my biggest battle so I definitely sympathise!)

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that the wedding woes are receding.

    Sounds like your MIL would drive any reasonable person to drink - don't beat yourself up about that. You did well not to have a shrieking fit!

    I only drink once a week now - except in extreme circumstances - it's boring and I don't like it but it definitely affects my weight. I miss wine and fizz and cocktails and G&Ts and Pimms...

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad everything is straightened out re venue and dress. I'm glad you like the vixen lace dress. I might renew my vows just so I can wear one!!!

    Give yourself a break on the weight-loss -- this should be a happy, albeit stressful, time. I look back on my wedding, 18 years ago, yikes, and think about all the stupid stuff I fretted about. What a waste. None of it mattered an iota. Enjoy. All that matters is that you have Matt and your family there.

    Re MIL, she is not going to change, the only thing that can change is how you react to her.

    I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pleased your wedding plans are coming together for you Linz, you're going to have an amazing day/week out there.

    Sorry to hear your MIL is a pain in the ass, sounds exactly like my sister's MIL, she's always so much worse off than anybody else really does my head in, so sounds like you've coped quite well.. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!