Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Thank you.... and baby steps

Thanks guys for your comments yesterday. I've said this before and I will say it again - you rock!

I think you are right. I've made the painful decision that WW and I need to take a break from each other. We've been fighting for a while now and not really getting on since WW decided to change, I think it's time we split. At least for a little while until I get my head back on track. Having made this decision, I already feel a bit more in control, a bit more like I can do this. We've had a tumultuous relationship over the years.

So, decision made,  I'm taking photo's this week to try and keep track of my eating while I decide the best course of action going forward. I know my choices aren't all going to be amazing this week, but having the photo's really helps me focus and will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow. From here on in, I am focussing on being healthier and all thoughts of blasted points are banished.

Breakfast this morning was from my Graze box - Cheese and Onion Topped Focaccia, a cup of tea and water. This was fairly tasty, but far too small to suffice....



So mid morning, I had these fiery cashews.




Plus another cup of tea and a couple of those blasted M&S biscuits. An improvement from the 8 yesterday I guess.



Lunch was a Waitrose reduced fat Macaroni Cheese. I bought this yesterday because it was reduced (in price), I had no  fancy for it today, but am loathe to waste food, so I ate it and felt fairly dissatisfied afterwards. Lesson learnt. Don't eat something just because you don't want to waste it otherwise you will eat something else later. Look at that watery sauce... I can make so much better myself.




That something else you will eat due to lack of satisfaction, will be your Graze Strawberries and Cream - raisins, dried strawberries and 3 white chocolate coins. At least I didn't go for crisps, I guess.



Dinner was totally amazing.... I've not really done much cooking of late due to lack of kitchen (look at my lovely new worktop...) so I had forgotten how satisfying cooking from scratch can be.

This was based on a Jamie Oliver recipe but adapted to fit what I had in the fridge and the cupboards.



Tomato and Sausage bake (serves 3 or 2 quite hungry people)

  • 6 Tesco Finest Pork and Caramelised Onion Sausages (these were brilliant with the tomatoey sauce)
  • Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
  • 6 or so full sized Tomatoes chopped
  • Couple of Sundried Tomatoes in Olive Oil
  • 1 Courgette chopped
  • 2 cloves of Garlic, chopped
  • Sprinkle of Rosemary, Thyme and a Bay Leaf (I used dried)
  • Glug of Balsamic Vinegar
  • Splash of Olive Oil or oil from the Sundried Tomatoes
  • Salt and Pepper


Put the tomatoes, courgettes, herbs, garlic and sausages into a roasting tin. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar and season. Toss together and then make sure the sausages are on the top. Roast in the oven (190 degrees) for about 30 mins. Turn sausages and cook for another 15-20 mins. Remove from oven and if you like (I did) place on hob and reduce for a thicker sauce.

OMG - this was delicious. I am so having some tomorrow with a bit of pasta.... I just had mine with lettuce drizzled with more balsamic as I wasn't overly starving tonight. 

So, not the best day ever - too much snacking, but the snacks were at least a bit healthier than I would perhaps have gone for and it's quite possibly the best day I've had in a very long while. Long may it continue.

Tomorrow I am working from home as I have the pleasure of the Dentist in the morning (maybe that will stop me eating at least). I'm out with the girls tomorrow night for dinner, a 3 course meal courtesy of Groupon so I will just try my best not to go too mad. I am feel strangely confident that I can do this.

5 comments:

  1. Well, firstly, the sausage and tomato bake looks fabulous!

    And secondly - great that you're feeling more positive and strong. A change can definitely be as good as a rest in diet terms. Good luck!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound so much more positive today Linz, I think you've definitely done the right thing. The dinner you cooked looks fantastic, will have to pinch that recipe off you to try for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum! Glad you are feeling positive go Linz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh - what Seren said - the casserole does look lovely, and it is really good to hear you so positive. I know how you feel with the WW's frustration, and I think taking a break and looking at things a different way for a bit will help and be refreshing. Maybe just focus on eating mostly fresh stuff, as how far wrong can you go then! (Or maybe that's just me??). Anyhoo - onwards! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!