Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Lurgy and murderous thoughts....

The diet went a little bit awry at the weekend, I tried very hard to make Slimming World friendly choices, but it's not always so easy when you are the mercy of someone else's hospitality and you are a lover of all things bad (fried food and cake, I am looking at you).


The train journey up to Hull wasn't too bad, for some reason, it was cheaper for me to travel First Class as far as Doncaster (this makes no sense at all) so I got a lot of room (while everyone else sat in the corridors) and free drinks and snacks. I'd made my dinner (we'd decided I'd arrive too late for a Chinese) so I politely refused the offers of Shortbread, Crisps and Sandwiches from the very helpful man with the trolley and ate my Creamy Pork and Mushroom Pasta (this was delicious - Pork, Mushrooms, Onions and Spinach, dry fried and then simmered in Chicken Stock with a couple of Dairylea light triangles stirred in and mixed with pasta - all free or healthy extra). So far, so good.

The rest of the weekend was, perhaps, not quite so restrained. I've never been to Hull before so my friends showed me around, we went to a market in Beverly where I sampled lots of little tidbits of food at the many stalls - not clever. I had my first Pattie (we have these in the North East - Cheese or Corned Beef with Mash and Onion dipped in batter and fried - the Hull ones were Mash with Sage dipped in batter and fried - not sure I can pass that off as SW friendly), tucked into a Hot Roast Beef Sandwich, sampled some Yorkshire Curd Tart and ate Pizza for dinner (in my defence it was a very authentic Italian Pizza which was not at all greasy, but still) and drank a fair amount of alcohol. Sunday was better, a SW friendly breakfast of Bacon and Eggs, Lunch was a Roast Pork Bap with Salad (on wholemeal of course) and then I had some Chicken Fajita Salad upon my return.

The train back on Sunday was fairly hideous. Hull to Manchester, no issues, Manchester to Reading... Hell on Earth. The train was packed, the air con was on full blast (which was great given it was roasting outside) so I had to try and fashion some form of blanket from my scarf and we spent about an hour just sitting outside of Stoke, there was also a lot of Body Odour - which was not overly nice. I got home late, tired and very grumpy and somewhat exhausted from little sleep. My friends have 2 children, so late to bed for us after watching Glastonbury til the early hours and early to rise for the kids meant I managed about 10 hours sleep all weekend.

Yesterday was a good day diet wise, although I wasn't feeling the greatest due to sleep deprivation and a sore throat. I met a friend for lunch and opted for a Salad, all of which was free of part of my Healthy Extras. For dinner I cooked a risotto with Broad Beans, Asparagus (Seren - Morrison's still had some English Asparagus available) Spinach, Watercress, Red Onion and Bacon and then decided to have an early night as I was feeling a bit under the weather.


My dear fiancĂ© clearly decided that I didn't need to sleep. He was out at Windsor races with some recruitment firm who are clearly trying to butter him and his best mate up (they are both Accountants). I sent him a text around 930pm to say I was off to bed and to let me know he was ok and what time he'd be home. Imagine my delight when I woke at 11pm and there was no response from him.... now I know he is a grown man, but he hates being out late (especially when he is flying off to Germany at 7am this morning) and he is a nightmare when he is drunk. By 12, I called him to check he was still alive (my imagination when I am tired is ridiculously over active) - no answer. By 1245, his best mate (who he was out with) was calling his other phone which he'd left in the spare room to find out where he was..... His mate was so drunk he failed to realise I wasn't Matt for at least 5 minutes. That was an interesting conversation.

So, then I started to panic. He still wasn't answering his phone, his mate had lost him (and we live about 500 yards from him so you'd expect they'd come home together) and I was feeling pretty rough and not to mention bloody knackered. He eventually calls me at 0140 to say he is almost home. I was livid. In he stumbles at 0200, gets himself into bed and promptly starts to snore. The wedding was very nearly off at that point.

So today, as well as being exhausted, I am the proud owner of a sore throat and ear ache and a very sheepish and apologetic fiancĂ© who, thankfully, is in Germany until Friday otherwise I'd be likely to murder him. I'm filling up on Fruit and Veg (although it seems to have done me no favours in fighting off this lurgy) and think I'm going to head back home to work from bed.

I should have weighed in this morning, but I completely forgot, so tomorrow morning I will find out if a) I've understood Slimming World and b) if my Saturday off the rails has had an impact.

Hopefully, I will be less of a mardy cow tomorrow.... a good night's sleep can have that effect.

2 comments:

  1. Firstly - thanks for the tip, will have to toddle off to check out Morrisons at some point very soon.

    Secondly - I feel your pain with regards the errant, drunk fiance. D has a terrible habit of going off radar after several drinks and doesn't seem to understand why I might be upset.

    Thirdly - good luck with your WI tomorrow! It doesn't sound to me like you went ridiculously off track (although admittedly, I know next to nothing about SW) so hopefully a good result will ensue.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for your first SW weigh in Linz!

    I hope he makes it up to you for being very very rubbish! I don't think they realise how panicky we get when they decide it's OK to go AWOL!!!!!

    Lex xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!