Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Man flu and ridiculous tenants

I've been a bit AWOL due to stress and man flu which has meant my gym action has been non-existent, although my food has still been okish. The scales are still playing funny beggars so I am not overly sure what's what.

The source of my stress last week came from my flat. As you may know, I still own my flat which I've been renting out for a few years - since I moved in with Matt. I tried to sell it last year unsuccessfully, so decided to continue renting it for the foreseeable. The flat had been empty for a few months while I tried to sell and a friend stayed. I had a family move in just over a month ago - a couple and their young daughter, so I was happy that it was not going to be a source of stress finding the money to cover the mortgage and all the associated bills for at least another year. Little did I know, it was actually Mr. Bean who had moved into my flat.

His list of demands/ complaints over the space of 2 weeks were as follows:

  • Flat must be professionally cleaned to provide a sanitary environment for his child - agreed £120 down. He didn't agree that the standard of the cleaning was professional so I had to send the cleaner back - another £60 down.
  • Lock must be changed as it was a bit stiff and his wife might get locked out - agreed £60 down
  • Bed must be removed as he needed a bigger bed for him and his wife and child to share - agreed £40 down.
  • Oven was not working as there was heat coming out of it. Disagreed, it's a fan oven - heat must come from somewhere. This went back and forth for days until I finally sent someone out - £80 down to tell me what I already knew. It was fine. He still disputed it.
  • Paint tin and spare kitchen tiles must be removed from the spare room cupboard as it was a hazard to his daughter. Agreed  he could remove them. He refused as it was not his job, so someone had to go round and do it.
  • Flat was then 'infested' with insects - I sent a pest controller round (£70 call out) who agreed there were a few flies in the property - mostly because the tenants had the windows open all the time. Tenant then insisted it was not safe for him and his family to stay so I was obliged to pay for them to stay in a hotel. Disagreed - told him to move out.
Thankfully he has now gone, but not after much stress on my behalf and a lot of money spent. He is now trying to get compensation from me for buying a new bed. Honestly, I was a tenant from the ages of 18-30 and I can't ever remember being so difficult. So, I am back to having an empty flat which is not ideal - but slightly less costly than paying out constantly for no reason. Hopefully someone will want it and will move in soon. Fingers crossed. 

Other than that, the weekend was lovely. My friend came over on Saturday for lunch and then I met Matt and some other friends in town later for dinner. Sunday, my parents came down, so we spent a lovely day wandering around Henley in the sun. Since Sunday morning I've been struck down with some hideous form of man flu which I am desperately trying to beat with copious amounts of Vitamin C and fresh fruit and vegetables.

Thankfully I am on holiday next week so should have plenty of time to recuperate. Friday we are off to France for a 10 day driving holiday, covering Bordeux, The Dordogne and the Champagne Regions. I am very much looking forward to it. I anticipate a lot of wine, cheese, ham and French bread may be on the menu. Had better make sure I do some walking whilst there to compensate!

3 comments:

  1. Good lord, I think you did well to put up with that rubbish as long as you did! I've been a tenant as well and would never have dreamed of acting like that. And I lived in some complete tips!

    Anyway, hope you feel better soon and have a fantastic holiday.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds like a complete nutter.

    The holiday on the other hand sounds wonderful - bonnes vacances!

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. How annoying, at least he is gone now!

    Have a great holiday, it sounds amazing. Nothing better than a bit (lot) of cheese and wine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!