As I touched on briefly in my last post, on Friday, we are flying out to Tenerife to holiday with my parents, my 2 sisters and brothers in law and my 2 nieces. We had been discussing having a family holiday for a while and since we know someone with a Villa in Tenerife that conveniently sleeps 10 people (at a push) we thought why the heck not.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love my family very much. My parents are amazing and have a very young outlook. I'm just slightly concerned that spending a week in close confines with everyone, will somewhat test my patience. My 2 sisters are quite high maintenance as are my brothers in law.
My sisters are very thin - my middle sister in particular seems to have a massive phobia of being fat - perhaps having an older, fat sister has scarred her for life. My little sister has modelled in the past and her husband looks like an Action Man. Both of my sisters also have boob jobs (the one thing I got that they didn't, they both went and bought). I imagine it will be somewhat exhausting, all the preening and posing and moaning and general high maintenance.
Regular readers of my bletherings will know that I don't really have a negative self image. I actually quite like myself - despite being obese (possibly one of the reasons I struggle to lose weight). I am fairly confident and tend to adopt a f*ck it attitude - if you don't like me, don't look. But.... I can't help but feel a little bit inadequate when I am around my sisters. I don't know what it is. I actually have more confidence than both of them really, but they somehow just make me feel - well, plain.
I also feel somewhat responsible for everyone having a good time. After all, it's our friend's Villa. We've been a few times and know the area, so we know what to expect - but my family don't. My middle brother in law seems to think he is Rockafella these days, so I am worried the Villa won't live up to his standards, he'll make snide comments or what have you and my patience will run out. Matt's tolerance for such will also be low.
My little sister and her husband are already complaining. They were the last to book - so they get the sofa bed. Something they have expressed their disdain for. I'm already worrying about keeping everyone happy and we aren't even there yet.
I am hopeful that my worries will be unfounded. Perhaps it will be the lovely relaxing week in the Sun I am hoping for. If not, we are hiring a car so me and Matt will make ourselves scarce if need be....
Bloody families. It's amazing what we put up with that we would NO WAY allow with friends. And our friends wouldn't treat us in that way.
ReplyDeleteI have to say I admire you for even attempting this. And Matt even more! I would never be in close confines with my family for more than the absolute minium - and in fact when the rest of them did just this in a massive villa, world war three broke out. Hopefully your experience will be better!
Best of luck.
Px
I can totally feel your pain on this one. Not from a family point of view but from going on holiday with friends who are slim.
ReplyDeleteSome of them obsess SO much about how they look and how fat they look in their holidays clothes that not only is it draining to listen to but it really brings me down as I am so much bigger than then and if they are worried then I should be totally freaking it.
Fingers crossed you managed to relax and don't spend the whole holiday trying to appease everyone. Crack out the wine I say!
x
1st hand experience of going on holiday with my Matt, my Pops, sister, brother in-law and 5 of his family is everyone will be thinking the same thing and will want a bit of ‘chill out time’ from the group. Go relaxed and you will enjoy yourself – go worrying and you will never relaxed and therefore probably come back knackered!
ReplyDeleteGo have fun and take advantage of the sun & quality time with your family – I bet your folks will love having you all together.
I totally agree with everything said above and would just add that it's all about choices - you can choose to be happy or you can choose to be unhappy no-one but you can decide how you want to feel - so you'll be happy and remember that the others have made their choice!!! Enjoy - and by the way you have a much more engaging smile and prettier face than either of your sisters Zxx
ReplyDeleteI fifth everything said above; they (your family) signed up for it so they'll have to lump it too so just ignore them if they start moaning. I must say you are very brave!
ReplyDeleteI think most women are guilty of comparing themselves to other women and finding themselves wanting so I can totally understand that. It is a pointless exercise though. I'm sure its just a bit of pre-holiday nerves and your sisters are equally as worried about what you think of them, you have moved away and have the glam life and great job in the south east, no?
Though the action man husband made me laugh. Ha ha!!
Wow, I think anyone would be feeling a bit of strain in those circumstances! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself though.
ReplyDeleteI know you have mentioned on here before how you feel a bit inadequate in comparison to your sisters, I can relate, my sister is a skinny minny. Although - and I hope you don't think this is rude - I have never understood it because you are by FAR the most attractive of your sisters! Honestly.
I know I wouldn't have the strength to go away with my family Linz! We have stayed over night in the in-laws caravan with them and I hated every second, but only because we couldn't have any time on our own. Make sure you and Mat clear off together for a day on your own.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I'm the one that has to jolly every one up and keep playing hostess too so I feel your pain!
By they way Mrs, you are by FAR the most gorgeous of your sisters. You are stunning and beautiful don't ever forget it!
xxxx