Thursday, 1 March 2012

Day one - done

Well it's not really day one - since I actually started with my half hearted attempt last week, but so far so good.

I feel like I ate quite a lot yesterday and still came in slightly under points, but clearly I won't complain about that.

I've come to realise that my biggest failure over the past year has been alcohol. My eating, generally is not too hideous, and really hasn't been too bad for most of the last year, but, I've been drinking a lot of empty calories. So it takes an extra 3500 calories roughly to gain a pound of fat, well I can safely say I've probably overdone the calories by that amount in booze on a weekly basis. The odd glass of wine after work in the pub, the bottle of Prosecco on a Friday night after a few Gins, the pints of cider on a Saturday afternoon watching the footy. It all adds up and totally makes sense as to why my weight (despite me thinking I've been doing ok on the food front) has shot up.

So it stops now. I am not saying I will give up booze completely, as I enjoy a social drink, but I am giving up drinking during the week and I imagine, I won't even miss it. It's become a habit and it's one I need to break.

My leader at WW told me that the 49 Flex points you get every week, equates roughly to 2.5 bottles of wine, she uses hers for that over the course of the week. So, I am aiming to use my daily points (and I get 46 of them, I am that fat) for food, I really shouldn't struggle, and only use the Flex points for alcohol which naturally limits me.

Yesterday's meals were all very delicious and I honestly didn't feel deprived.

Breakfast - 2 slices of brown bread, 2 rashers of grilled bacon, 1/2 teaspoon of Lurpak
Lunch - Huge Salad of Spinach, Rocket, Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber, Onions and Olives with Grilled Halloumi and Lime Dressing. Fat Free Yoghurt.
Dinner - Homemade Chicken and Veg Curry with Pilau Rice and half a Paratha.
Snacks - Dried Apple pieces, roasted spicy Chickpeas and an apple.

I bought a few new bits from the WW meeting as they were on special offer, including these curry pastes:


1 point for half the pot. I normally use dried spices when making a curry, but these are definitely very handy for a quick meal.

Et Voila - very tasty indeed.

PT last night was fairly hideous as usual, but I am actually beginning to enjoy  the weekly torture. My fitness levels are so much better than when I started and it really encourages me to work harder every week.

Tomorrow morning, I am flying up to Newcastle to spend the weekend with my parents. I'm really looking forward to going home and spending some time with my nieces, but I do worry about the temptations I might encounter. My mother's house is always full of food. Wish me luck!


2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain with regards alcohol - it decimates points, doesn't it? I'm trying to give up drinking on school nights as well and it does seem to help - I've also switched to half pints, which I keep telling myself is far more ladylike ;-))

    Good luck with your new new start - oh, and loving the style blog - I want our wardrobe!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lord,I'm exactly the same, i got with my other half 3 ish years ago, and my socialising went up tenfold, so did the drinking, moving onto cider as in my head that was more socialable than vodka (!?!?!) and my weight went up as well.

    So, i've made the ultimate step - i've given up alochol for lent to see what it does for my weight loss.

    Good luck this week, let us know how you're going, and just remember, one step, one pound, one mouthful at a time xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!