Friday, 11 June 2010

I never need to eat again

Well 12 hours after the event, I am still beyond stuffed. Food last night was amazing, but we had a lot of it - and a lot of wine too.

We went for a 10 Course Surprise - so we didn't even look at the menu. Just told the waiter what we didn't like (shellfish in my case or my head swells up) and off they go and prepare a meal for you. We also decided to go for the wine pairings - which meant 10 glasses of wine - which meant a fairly drunk Linz & Matt.

It was absolutely lovely (if not VERY expensive) but it was my birthday pressie from Matt as I have been wanting to go for ages, so I am kind of able to justify it... sort of.

I had to make notes of what we ate or I knew I would forget. I wanted to take photos - but I don't think thats really the done thing in fancy restaurants. I am not overly familiar with the etiquette, but perhaps getting your phone out at every course might be frowned upon?

So here is what we consumed....
  • On arrival - Rosemary Popcorn, Houmous with Smoked Paprika and Marinated Olives. Glass of Kir Royale
  • Potato Velouté with Truffle and Chive foam, homemade bread. Glass of wine
  • Goats Cheese Mousse with mixed seeds. Glass of wine
  • Organic Salmon with Wasabi Mayonnaise and Soy Sauce. Glass of wine
  • Foie Gras with Walnuts and Caramel Jelly. Glass of wine.
  • Pan Fried Halibut with Asparagus. Glass of wine.
  • Veal Rump, Sweetbread, Pea Puree, Pommes Anna. Glass of wine
  • Selection of Cheese with Raisin Bread. Glass of White Port.
  • Mango Jelly with Coconut Foam. Glass of Fizzy Pink.
  • Poached Meringue with Strawberries and Basil Jelly. Glass of wine
  • Vanilla Cheesecake with Orange Carpaccio. Glass of wine.
  • Coffee and Petits Fours (Coconut Ice, Turkish Delight and Chocolate Meringue).
Anyone fancy pointing that little lot for me?? To be fair, they were small portions, but that's still one hell of a lot of food.

The only thing I wasn't overly fond of was the sweetbread - well actually that's a lie, it tasted nice, but when you think about what you are eating, it kind of puts you off a little bit. Especially when your boyfriend has a very perplexed look on his face. Matt was a bit traumatised after I told him what it was he had just eaten (he thought the waiter said it was truffle???!) and I couldn't stop laughing which is probably not the done thing either. Cow balls are obviously the norm in posh restaurants.

So we got home after a 4 hour eating extravaganza, very drunk and very stuffed. Lovely. I haven't had breakfast this morning as I actually cannot face food, so lunch is not looking likely. Let's hope I have some room by tonight in time for another meal out. Help!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds AMAZING, although my list of foods that I won't eat would have been a lot longer than yours!! Where was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time - food looks like it was amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I thought sweetbread was pancreas. Either way, NOT something I'd be prepared to put in my mouth! Sounds fabulous otherwise - glad you had a good time (even if it sounds like you ended up like a force-fed foie gras goose!)

    love
    Peridot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!

    Restaurant was called l'ortolan near Reading. Very fancy but so nice!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peridot, I think you are right about the sweetbreads.... I think the waiter was having a laugh with us!

    Ah well, maybe not so bad after all :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!