Monday, 21 December 2009

Another weekend of excess

Spent the weekend in the Midlands to celebrate Christmas with Matt's family. We were deluged with snow on Friday down here so we left fairly early but once we got past Oxford, the snow was nowhere to be seen. I had a minor trauma in that we got stuck in traffic on the M6 and I was absolutely desperate for the loo. We were literally 10 minutes from our hotel, but got stuck for 45 minutes. Matt was trying to persuade me to go on the hard shoulder, erm yes rightio!! Anyway, we eventually managed to make an emergency stop at Burger King and I had to have myself a cheeseburger to ease the trauma. Pig.

Friday night involved a fair amount of alcohol with Matt's brother at our hotel. I stuck to Vodka and Soda however, but I did end up snaffling down some Chilli which I really didn't need. Pig again.

Saturday we had breakfast in the hotel which was a help yourself buffet styleee... My biggest nightmare. I made a conscious effort to stick to one trip and not to overload my plate - not overly easy to do when a) you're a pig b) you're slightly hungover and c) you love a good fry up. Could have been worse though, I managed to completely avoid the pastries (and also the fruit!) and I only had one of everything I fancied (apart from the mushrooms as that would have been a bit daft).

We spent the afternoon in Stafford with Matt showing me around some of his old haunts before heading back to his Mom's house for a cuppa and cake. She had about 10 different varities and took great offence when I only wanted one small slice of Christmas Cake. I had to take a Cherry Bakewell with me for later to keep her happy. Fortunately I am not overly keen so I managed to resist that.

Saturday night was our Xmas dinner at a pub near Matt's Mom's. 3 courses which we had pre ordered back in September. I am so over Turkey and Xmas Pudding already. I didn't finish everything which is progress, but I still ate way more than I needed or actually even wanted. I spent the evening being entertained by Matt's Mom and his brother with their various views of the world.

Yesterday was a bit better but only because we literally have no food whatsover in the flat other than a couple of tins of beans, low fat rice pudding and various herbs and spices. I can normally manage to rustle something up, but I admit to being defeated by that one.

Today I feel hungry - and I am sure its because the excesses over the past few weeks have stretched my stomach again. I am worried that I may lose my last little bit of self control this week. I must try harder. I seem to have developed a sod it attitude since I am not officially now weighing in until the 6th January. There are numerous cakes and sweets in the office which I have resisted so far but it gets harder every time I look at them.

We're driving up to my parents tonight around 9pm which should hopefully mean we miss all of the traffic. I am going to have a very light dinner and only take a couple of healthy snacks for the journey. Matt is unlikely to want to stop as its a 300 mile trip and he'll just want to get there. Really looking forward to spending a bit of time at home and having some time off work. Tomorrow is officially my last day of the year, but I will be working from my parents so I am not entirely sure how much actual work I will do... don't tell my boss.

Right then, I am off to torture myself with a wander past the mince pies again.

2 comments:

  1. oh you make me laugh !! You really are not a pig ! Your human. I have lost count of the amount of home made sausage rolls i have eaten today, and for some strange reason, I have a desire to cook yummy christmas foods right now, so im finding it really hard to stay focused. I have made a yummy chocolate christmas cake as we do not like the traditional christmas cake, and mince pies aswell...all of which are calling my name as I walk past !!!
    Hang in there hunnie.... or your sod it attitude sounds very tempting during christmas. Whatever the damage over the next couple of weeks, can always be undone in the new year.
    Have a fantastic christmas and a very happy new year x x x safe journey tonight x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You are a girl like me! Any harm done can be fixed in 2010, hope you get away okay - took a while to get out of London tonight, Safe Journey. Have a fab Christmas!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!