Why do weekends go by so quickly? I hate that Monday morning feeling when you can't just roll back over and get back to sleep as you have to go out and earn a living. This morning was particularly difficult as Matt decided he was going to work from bed - see he's the boss so he can just decide to stay at home, I don't have that luxury. Harumph.
The weekend was good, a little hectic but I seem to have come out of the other end pretty unscathed.
Friday night my parents arrived. We ended off at the local pub where I chose.... a salad of all things. I also opted not to drink as I am still suffering flashbacks from the Hangover from Hell. This is pretty impressive for me on Friday as I usually neck alcohol like its about to be banned.
Saturday I slept til 10am - only to wake up and discover my Dad hadn't been well all night so there was a bit of panic surrounding that. Normally I'd have been up all night if I heard people wandering about, but I've taken to sleeping with ear plugs since my boyfriend snores like a truffle pig, so I was completely oblivious to what was going on. Now given I come from a family of hypochondriacs, I wasn't too worried (my little sister once spent a week in hospital with suspected appendicitis which turned out to be trapped wind) but my dad was feeling fairly sorry for himself so I had to show some concern. Turns out he suspected he was having a heart attack, but it would appear to have just been a fairly bad bout of Heartburn. Panic over. And perhaps a realisation from him he needs to be a little bit healthier.
Once we managed to get ourselves ready, we drove over to Hammersmith to park up and head into London for a little wander around Covent Garden. I stuck to mainly sensible choices with food - a Pret Tapas Salad for lunch and Gnochi with Spinach and Mushrooms for dinner. Not bad going as everyone else was having Fish and Chips or other such tasty options (apart from my dad who was still feeling a bit sorry for himself and had an omlette). Billy Connolly was hilarious, much funnier than anticipated and my Dad had a good laugh (Heartburn now completely forgotten) so that was the main thing given it was his Xmas present from me.
My parents left yesterday morning and headed up to Bicester on the way home as my mother loves to shop - and in her words "It would be a shame not to pop in since we are so close". Matt and I were invited over to my friend Caroline's for lunch in Twickenham. They are in the midst of having a new kitchen fitted so she had put on massive platters of bread, cheese and meats which is my idea of heaven - but somewhat hellish when trying to stick to points! I was the designated driver since I am still struggling to find an alcoholic drink that doesn't make me gag - so I guess that was my saving grace. I did completely overindulge on Parma Ham, Chorizo, Brie, Salami and Stilton with Apricots all served up with Tiger Bread and butter. I am salivating just thinking about it! Anyway, I reckon I was about 6 points over for yesterday, but I can cope with that.
Matt was shoe faced, as were Alex and Rory - all of whom I had the pleasure of driving home. Why do drunk people feel the need to a) shout and b) say the same thing over and over and over again? I think I'd have no friends if I was tee total as drunk friends can be a little bit annoying!
Today should be a good day. I've had Porridge with skimmed milk and sultanas for breakfast. Lunch is an Innocent Veg Pot - now these are brilliant if you are struggling for something quick, plus you get 3 of your 5 a day. I urge you to try them, not cheap at £3 ish, but worth it every now and then. Dinner is already prepared - Chicken Fajita Stack, which I have entrusted Matt to pop into the oven when I am on my way home (so that won't happen clearly).
I am hoping my lack of alcohol over the weekend will be beneficial to me on Wednesday and I should see a good result on the scales. Fingers crossed!
Your posts always make me laugh - in a good way!! It is so hard to eat when with friends, I can stick to points all week, then as soon as I step out with friends or to a new place I party!!! Hope your weigh in is good this week!
ReplyDeleteClaire xx
I think 6 weeks is the longest I was off the booze because of a hangover. It was back in the stone age when I was 20, it was the uni summer ball, and I still remember it. Mind you, I still can't drink vodka, and even the thought makes me gag. Give me a crate of wine, however.... ( or tequila, or rum, or armagnac, or cinammon schnapps...you get the picture. :D ) That's not to say I haven't had some memorable hangovers since, but my constitution has improved as my liver had deteriorated, so nothing like as long as that first biggie.
ReplyDeleteI also have a snorer ( I love the description as a truffle pig. lol ), and now ditch him for the spare bedroom when he gets going, since my ears don't like earplugs - they get rather sore, so I assume I'm sensitive to the latex.
I do agree that nights out when you are the only one not drinking drive you crackers. I've been known to ditch everyone and drive home, leaving them to get a taxi, because I got so p*ssed off.
I'm glad that your dad's bad night was heartburn, but I know from experience that a bad attack can really frighten you into thinking the worst.
Glad you had a good weekend in the end and well done on staying so much in control.
This is such an essay, it almost an extra post! Will shut up now.