Monday, 28 February 2011

Foody weekend

I'm recovering from a fairly full on weekend, I think I am still within points, by the very skin of my teeth. However, I've eaten out a lot so it's all random guestimates and I could be way off. The moment of truth will come tomorrow I guess.

On Friday night we saw the very funny Micky Flanagan in Reading which cheered me right up after a stressy work day, there is a lot to be said for Live Comedy. We went for a quick Indian beforehand (Matt's birthday, therefore his choice) and although I ordered Chicken Saag from the menu (mild apparently), it contained something that completely blew my head off. I think I had 2 spoonfuls and I was literally rendered speechless so that was the end of my pigging out.  A blessing in disguise perhaps. 

Saturday was a  bit of a lazy day, although I did spend a good few hours clearing out the kitchen in preparation for it's removal today. I managed a little bit of exercise (2 whole activity points, pah!) and tried to exist on as little food as possible as I wanted to enjoy myself at the Royal Oak. The food was lovely, obviously not the cheapest place since it's a Michelin Starred fancy pants pub, but not too extortionate either. I'd definitely go back for a special occasion. 

I couldn't resist taking a few photos of the food to share - you lucky people!

Scotch Egg - amazing.


Chicken Liver and Foie Gras Parfait with Toasted Brioche - Gorgeous


Potted Crab for Matt - he said it was lovely but I couldn't taste since shellfish causes my head to explode.


Lamb Cutlet and Braised Shoulder with Kale and Champ - delicious


Oxtail and Kidney Pie for Matt - not a fan of Kidney myself but he loved this...


Yorkshire Rhubarb Trifle - not bad. Probably the most disappointing thing we ordered - Matt's Butterscotch Pudding was heavenly. 



All in all, a delicious meal if not overly points friendly. Thankfully, I was driving so I only had a small thimble of wine. I was able to eat all of my points instead of drinking half of them for once :)

Yesterday was another lunch out, but I skipped breakfast and had celeriac chips for dinner. I also ran up the hill a couple of times - almost caused me to develop asthma I am sure. I am far too unfit. Next plan of action for that is to rejoin a gym. Watch this space.

By my guestimating, I had around 35 points for lunch (poached salmon to start, Roast Rib of Beef for main and half a rhubarb bread and butter pudding for dessert - and some Prosecco). I'll say I had all of my points however as I just don't know.

I really don't know what tomorrow will bring, but the main thing is, I am much more aware of my choices and making slightly better ones where I can. I know I am not going to lose massive amounts of weight at the moment given my social life is fairly ridiculous, but if I can manage to maintain at least on the weeks I have a lot on, I'll be fairly happy. This week will be really testing. At 0930 this morning, our entire kitchen was in the car park. I am going to have to exist on sandwiches and shop bought salads for a few days I think. Matt has cleverly gotten himself off to Athens with work, no Pot Noodles for him.

4 comments:

  1. That all looks so scrummy, although annoying that the rhubarb dessert was not as expected.
    Well done on pointing whilst your maintaining eating out and a hectic social life - i always struggle with this part, either by not counting, not preparing or counting after the fact (this weekend included!) - so i'm always amazed by people who make the right decisions in these situations!

    Good luck with the sandwiches and salads this week - i'm in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear - I have now drooled all over my keyboard ;-))

    Hope your kitchen situation is sorted soon and without too much hassle. Much as I love sandwiches, I suspect being forced to eat them for every meal would not make me a happy bunny!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food look so yummy!! Just catching up on your blog hun :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Matt had a good birthday. Albion´s are not giving him much joy at the moment.

    Good on you for hanging in there. I´m sure things will get easier again. I definitely hope so!!

    XX

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!