Thursday, 3 February 2011

Meh

Yesterday was one of those days. I felt really 'Meh' and completely out of sorts. Matt was flying off to Dusseldorf, so was up at the crack of dawn, which meant no sleep for either of us. Never a good start to the day. My journey to work was hideous, which saw me in an even bigger mood and it's that time of the month, so I just feel like crying at ridiculous things, like Glee. (Maybe I shouldn't be admitting that)

I had the day planned from a food perspective, left over bubble and squeak for breakfast, a Tesco Healthy Living pasta dish for lunch (although for 12 points, I'll be making my own in future), lots of fruit and then off to a friends house post work, where she had promised me Jamie Oliver's amazing 30 minute Steak Sandwich - points duly saved.

However, best laid plans don't always come off, my friend ended up with a work crisis and had to cancel, which threw me off completely. Our fridge is currently housing an assortment of slightly limp vegetables, a shed load of condiments, and other every day essentials, like wine and I am refusing to spend more money on food (with the exception of the Veg box and milk) while we try to deplete our current stores.

After much opening of cupboards, rifling through the freezer and a few moments of working out why the heck we have 5 different types of mustard, I settled on rice, stir fried with courgette, pak choi, onion, broccoli, mushrooms and King Prawns (prawns courtesy of the ever depleting freezer) with a bit of curry sauce. It would have been a perfectly delicious meal on any other occasion - but I had that bloody steak sarnie in my head and nothing was going to come close. So I then had myself a slice of buttered toast with blackcurrant jam (still within points of course) to compensate. I didn't need that bloody toast, in fact I didn't really need to compensate as my meal was perfectly lovely, I just felt like I should have a treat. Why I feel my treats have to be food shaped, is something I need to change.

I thought then I'd have myself a bath, listen to some music and relax and then an early night, duly filled the bath with bubbles and stepped in - to almost hit the ceiling due to shock. I'd filled the whole blooming thing with freezing cold water. Bath abandoned, I went to bed in a huff.

So, despite calls from work at 2am (7 of them and I am not even on call this week), I am in a much better mood today. I've had the last of the Bubble & Squeak for breakfast, I've 2 plums sat here wanting me to consume them and lunch will be soup. I'm off to visit another friend tonight, but won't be staying too long, so not sure what will happen with dinner, but I will make sure I have enough points for the unexpected.

Baby steps.

2 comments:

  1. Ah sounds like you had an awful day, hugs.

    As for left over food in fridge, if the veges are not looking great but still okay to eat, chop them, spray with some oil (the 2 cal spray) and roast them. I usually do this when there is a big mixture left in the fridge, add some herbs and spices and its all good. Waste not want not.

    Hope today is better for you chick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness that I am not the only one who cries at Glee! :-)

    But I think you deserve a massive pat on the back for not cracking under pressure. Counting everything - even the toast, well done! I know what you mean about the food shaped treats, and baths and face masks and manicures are all very well, but sometimes only a slice of hot toast will do, AND you restricted yourself to one AND you counted it. Well done you!

    Have a gorgeous weekend.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!