Friday, 26 June 2009

I don't think I'll be making it to Wimbledon..

Can I just say, playing tennis when its scorching hot is not a winner when you are carrying the equivalent of your best mate around in extra weight! But still, off we toddled to the Tennis Courts and as much as I can't believe I am saying this - I actually enjoyed it! My first few hits of the ball were utterly ridiculous - Poor Matt was running around like a loony trying to return my wild shots, but once I got into the swing of it I was actually not too bad. Even if I do say so myself. Maybe that tennis holiday at 14 actually paid off :)

We played for about 45 mins and I was sweating like the proverbial, but I really think its something I could get quite into. My shoulder is killing me today, I still suffer the after effects of the torn rotator cuff, but I guess that will get better with time. I did have a wobbly moment when a couple turned up, all kitted out in full on tennis gear, sun visors, sweat bands etc and got onto the court next to us, I was expecting to feel utterly humilated at my complete lack of ability - but actually - they were worse than us! Oh how I smiled when I had to keep returning their balls... just goes to show, things are not always how they seem.

We stopped off at the pub afterwards for a pint of Lime and Soda and we were both really trying hard to ignore the massive picture of the "Ultimate Burger" in the beer garden!! I was literally salivating looking at it - you can imagine how attractive I looked, red, sweaty and dribbling! Fortunately we had some Tesco Light Choices Quarter Pounders in the freezer. Flipping heck - how nice are they?? Only 3 points each, topped with 30g of Les Kol and popped in a WW Pitta with Onions and Salad - Hey presto, our own Ultimate Burger for 6 points. Had that with 2.5 points of Oven Chips and it was heavenly. Oh I am good.

Was meant to go spinning this morning, but I had to do some work at 6am - so clearly my motivation was then out of the window. I will finish at 3pm today though so I am going straight to the gym. Fact. My running made easy book arrived yesterday, and I actually think this is something I am going to give a serious go. I often have dreams (wierd I know) where I am running really easily around a track and I love it... so maybe its meant to be... Ha ha ha. Anyway, week 1 involves running (they say anything speedier than your normal walking pace classfies as running) for 1 minute, followed by 3 mins of walking and repeat 4 times. I might start off on the treadmill at the gym so I can get a good idea of what I am actually capable of. I am sure I'll be a panting like a sweaty mess by the end of it but I guess thats the idea.

No major plans for the weekend so I have no reason to stray off the WW track.

All in all, I am feeling pretty damn pleased with myself so far. Long may it continue.

2 comments:

  1. running made easy is a great book and quite easy to follow. I would really recomend doing the measurements and stuff it suggests at the start, really worth it towards the end. I only got to week 4 or 5 as a damaged my foot (but I was trying to run at about 18 stone which in retrospect was stupid).

    Your pic of you and Matt on the right is lovely, you'd never guess that you needed to be on WW!!!

    I tried spin for a session but haven't had a chance to go back yet. Going out for a bike ride tomorrow but its not quite the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryher, I'm going to take my measurements today may even start the book... I am guessing just reading it does me no good :)

    And thanks for the lovely comment about the photo!

    I love spin, but it is a killer - but then I guess its doing me some good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!