Thursday, 16 September 2010

Finding a balance

After all this time attempting to lose weight, I still seem to be struggling with finding some sort of balance. It would appear I am very much all or nothing. I had a very good day yesterday - too good perhaps and finished up last night with 9 points left. Unheard of - but I just wasn't hungry so there was no point in eating for the sake of it. It would appear that today I feel the need to reward my good behaviour - with a burger and chips for lunch.

Matt was out last night which meant I had a dinner of Roasted Veg (leeks, onions, peppers, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes) with some Chicken marinated in Lemon, Thyme and Garlic (Matt would have turned his nose up at this unmanly concoction) which was delicious. This after I had gutted the flat with a big old Autumn Clean (not that we live in extreme dirt I hasten to add, I'm just a massive clean freak). Is it normal for housework to cause perspiration? I can count it as exercise I suppose.

This morning I decided to get the train into work as I am out tonight for a leaving do. I love it when I get to the station to see my train departing without me and a 30 minute wait to the next one. I thought I'd treat myself to a coffee and a small baguette of egg mayonnaise (I know, I know, not the most healthy of options) whilst waiting. Given I had 25 minutes approximately to spare, you'd imagine this to be a relatively straight forward task.

Clearly you've never been to Upper Crust in Reading Train Station.

Server: Next Please (after about 10 mins of chatting amongst themselves)
Me: A small skinny latte and a small egg mayonnaise baguette please.
Server: A peppermint tea and an egg and bacon muffin?
Me: Erm no, small skinny latte and egg baguette please.
Server: Yes madam, next please? (Clearly paying no attention)
Server hands me a large hot chocolate and a sausage baguette....
Me: Erm, don't think this is mine - I ordered a small skinny latte and a small egg mayo baguette
Server: ah yes, sorry madam, one minute.
Server hands me a large latte (definitely not skinny) and a hot baguette of egg mayo.

By this point my train is in and I am not one for missing 2 trains of a morning so I take these items and run (well kind of stomp I suppose, it's not that easy to run with a coffee and an extra 5 stone on board).

Why on earth would you microwave a lovely crusty baguette of delicious egg mayonnaise, thus rendering it soggy and inedible (not to mention tasteless)? 2 mouthfuls later, it was in the bin - along with most of the coffee... I can't bear fat milk these days, it's like drinking lard. So that was £4.08 well spent.

I think this may explain my decision to treat myself at the pub for lunch. We go to this pub often and I always go for a Jacket Spud of some sort - as was the plan today. Imagine my surprise when I ordered and somehow "Lamb and Mint Burger please" popped out of my mouth.

In fairness, it wasn't really a greasy burger (most definitely homemade) and came with a smallish bun and no mayo or any of that business.... and I didn't eat all of the chips... but..... ah no but's, it was lush and I bloody well enjoyed it so I am not going to overly berate myself. I'll eat dust tonight.

So, I am out tonight with colleagues of the male variety, I fear they will be heading for a curry at some point this evening, at which point I'll be heading home. I am stuffed, so I may not require any further sustenance and I am only drinking Vodka with Soda. Honest Guv.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up sometimes - good old British service - nearly as bad as Australian - we certainly could learn lots from the Americans! Good luck for tonight. Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum for lamb burgers - I made them for dinner tonight!

    I hate when people can't get a simple food order correct :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!