Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Soups

Yesterday was a pretty good day on the food front. Despite not making it to my WI last night I am trying to remain positive. I was so frustrated by the traffic - 3 hours to travel 12 miles - 2.5 of those hours to do the last 3 miles!! Anyway, one of those things I guess, I just need to remain focussed this week and hopefully move the scales in the right direction.

The soup and salad situation is still going strong. I made up a few batches of soups on Monday night. French Onion and also Mushroom & Sherry. Both of which were delicious. Recipes are below. I am finding soup really fills me up which I didn't expect - my mindset has always very much been that soup is not a meal in itself... no wonder I am a porker :)

The fridge is fully stocked with vegetables, so I've no excuse over the next few days. Exercise has been a bit lacking - mainly due to knackeredness, but I know that exercise will probably help me so I just need to bloody well get on with it.

I've a leaving do tomorrow night, which means alcohol and probably eating out and then the Radio Rentals are down for the weekend so we are off out for dinner on Friday night. Hopefully they won't want to do too much else while they are here so I can try to remain on track.

Anyone who has any good soup recipes (Heather!) - please feel free to pass them on :)

French Onion Soup (3 servings at 0.5 points each)
  • 3 large Onions
  • 1/2 tablespoon of flour
  • 1 tablespoon of oil
  • 750ml of Beef stock
  • 2 tablespoons of Sherry
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Optional for an extra point per serving - 3 x 1cm slice of french stick and bit of grated Gruyere (10g)
In a large non-stick saucepan, heat the oil and very slowly saute the onions on a medium heat until they are golden brown (about 30-40 mins). Stir to make sure they don't stick

Stir in flour and mix well to combine with onions, slowly pour in the sherry and stock and stir constantly to bring to the boil. Simmer for around 20 mins and season to taste.

If using - top the french stick with the cheese and grill until bubbling. Serve the soup with the topped bread.

Voila!

This was today's lunch with my graze box 'west country cheddar, red onion and chutney focaccia' which was lovely for 2 points.



Mushroom and Sherry Soup (2 servings at 0.5 points each)
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 3 shallots
  • 250g Mushrooms
  • 1 pint of stock (I used chicken)
  • 150ml of skimmed milk
  • 1 tablespoon sherry
  • 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce or mushroom ketchup
  • Spray oil
Spray a large saucepan with the oil and sauté the garlic and diced shallots

Add in the mushrooms and the stock and bring to the boil and then simmer for around 20 mins

Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth

Add back to the pan, stir in the mushroom ketchup or worc sauce, sherry and milk and heat through. Season to taste.

Eat, bosh. It tastes nicer than it looks - honest!




4 comments:

  1. Hi Linz .... wow those soups look good. May just have to try them. Well done for being focused...looks like we are all in the zone right now. Yippeee !!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh - I've been looking for some new soup recipes and they both sound really good - I shall definitely be trying those out. I tend to go with really simple ones - carrot with tarragon, leek and potato, red pepper and parsnip (which I'll be making tomorrow), or broccoli with a bit of philadelphia stirred in. Either that or good ol' fashioned chunky veg / minestrone soup. I usually find soup and a couple of slices of nice bread toasted for dunking is a great filling meal.

    Booooo - to the traffic though. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will get them and send them to you soon! I am glad you are having success with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I need to start eating more soup too, thanks for sharing the recipies hun. xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!