Monday, 30 August 2010

Lovely weekend, but woe is me.

I'm back from a lovely weekend in the Cotswolds. Reading is thankfully back to normal now the Festival is finished, so it's nice to be home.

We were up bright and early on Saturday morning and had a quick breakfast here before heading to Stow-on-the-Wold. I'd love to say I've had a very healthy and virtuous weekend, but that would be a big, fat lie. Everywhere we looked there were tea-shops, little cafes, pubs and bistros. Diet hell. I have discovered a new love - Lardy Cake - this has to be a mahoosive diet disaster, but I only sampled a little bit so it maybe wasn't the end of the world. Thankfully I've never seen it around here so that could be my first and last taster. Crisis averted.

Our B&B was in Stow, so that was our base, but we also went to Moreton-in-Marsh, Upper and Lower Slaughter and Bourton-on-the-Water. All of which are lovely little places, I could definitely see myself living somewhere like this when I grow up :) Beautiful countryside and loads of quirky little shops and houses. Lovely.

We walked a little bit (about 10 miles in 2 days), but I generally ate what I wanted (I was mindful of it, but I didn't point) so I don't expect a good result tomorrow.

I feel fairly unwell today (and therefore very sorry for myself), I woke up this morning with lots of mouth ulcers - a definite sign I am run down, and a sore throat and tight chest. The plus side of this is I can barely eat today as my mouth bloody kills. As a result of feeling under the weather, I am massively craving vegetables, so for dinner we've had a big salad with some Haddock and I've made a big old pan of Pea and Mint soup to get me through tomorrow.

We are off on holiday on Friday (one week's all inclusive in the Dominican Republic - help) so I've only got a few days of being completely in control.

Ah well, middle of September onwards should be good!

4 comments:

  1. Hi globetrotter, you always got me dreaming, when I read about all the lovely things you do and places you go. Post lots of pictures!

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a gorgeous weekend, and hopefully the scales will be kind tomorrow.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha, lardy cake sounds like it should be a made up name! Lucky you off to the dominican!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment!